Image Upload Guidelines
By Russ Freeman, written 1357396880.
About these guidelines
These guidelines are designed to help you know what should and shouldn't be uploaded to PurplePort, as well as how to mark the image safety setting on your images.
They are NOT a replacement for common sense. Please, apply that first!
If there is no guidance which covers an image you wish to upload, then take a browse around PurplePort to see if it will fit in. You can always contact us via support ticket and ask for advice.
- No Snapchat filters - These filters don't show anyone what you really look like and generally give a bad impression for a professional portfolio.
- No Porn - Porn or art? in the words of the great judge We'll know it when we see it. We don't want gratuitous sexually explicit images on here and neither does anyone else. Nudity is fine as long as you mark your images as NSFW.
- Maximum file size 3MB and jpg/jpeg/png files only!
- sRGB colour space - anything else may or may not look great depending on the web browser of the viewer.
- 900 pixels wide maximum - Anything less will not be resized, anything more will be resized.
- Minimum of 300x300 pixels - Anything smaller than this will be rejected.
Exif data is the embedded technical metadata which all digital cameras store in an image file. It provides information about the image at the point of capture and may include (amongst other things):
- camera make, model, and serial number
- date, time, and GPS coordinates of image capture
- shutter speed
- copyright information
Once an image is uploaded to the internet anyone can view the Exif data using many online tools now available. This means that it is important to make sure you remove any metadata from your images that you do not want to be shared with anyone else.
For example: GPS coordinates of image capture will reveal the location of where the photograph was taken and this may not be something you wish to be made available.
When an image is uploaded to PurplePort the Exif data is not removed, so this is something you will need to remove yourself. Depending on the device you use to capture your images will depend on how you remove the Exif data. The best thing to do is search online for the appropriate method according to your device.
Logos must not be added to Recent images otherwise they will be removed. Any logos for other sites and services which obliterate images or are used to conceal nudity are mostly unacceptable. By all means, place your tag on your images, but try to exercise some moderation and common sense. No need to ruin your images.
You must have either taken the image yourself or you must have permission to use it. If you are a photographer then you MUST have taken the image. If you are a model you MUST be in the image...and so on. Remember, use common sense!
Image safety: Mark your images correctly
Please respect our younger members on-site and those of us that browse PurplePort in public places (e.g. at work, a public library). If in doubt mark your image as Not suitable for work (NSFW). We operate a 'safer than Facebook' policy, and although this may seem harsh, remember that it is not designed to hurt or inconvenience anyone. It's in place to protect them.
If you consistently mark your images as Suitable for work (SFW) and we keep having to correct them, then not only do we have to do more work but you also risk inappropriate exposure to minors and you risk people's jobs. Repeat offenders may temporarily lose their ability to upload new images.
Not suitable for work (NSFW)
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Any female topless image whether you can see nipples or not.
- Any nude image regardless of whether there are nipples or genitals visible.
- Image showing any genitalia. See notes below under Adult.
- Any image showing bare buttocks.
- Anything related to fetish regardless of whether it is clothed. (E.g. latex clothing, someone bound but clothed)
- Any hints of pubic area.
- Anything too sexy, including (but not limited to) lingerie.
- Blood, gore, violence, depictions of drug use.
- Any sheer clothing that shows any of the above points.
- Bondage, whether clothed or nude. Anything depicting a fetish theme should be marked as NSFW.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Closed leg images showing both genitalia AND anus (applies to both male and female) from below or behind.
- Scenes of a sexual nature (including sex toys).
- Any sexual activity (whether implied or real).
- Scenes showing sexual arousal.
- Open leg images (applies to both male and female). See notes below under the section Images generally unwelcome on PurplePort
- Bondage of a dark/sexual/erotic/explicit nature. See notes below under the section Images generally unwelcome on PurplePort
Note: We understand that one man’s art is another man’s porn. However, there must be some artistic merit to the shot. This will ultimately be decided upon by the Admin Team and their decision is final. Marking sexually explicit or gratuitous images as Adult doesn't make it appropriate, nor acceptable, for on PurplePort. We don't want these images on here, and neither does anyone else.
Images generally unwelcome on PurplePort (and may be removed)
Anything listed below may be removed and your ability to upload new images could be suspended, so please take it seriously. If in doubt, contact us via support ticket and ask.
- Mobile phone, and snapchat-style filters. They don't show anyone what you really look like and generally give a really bad impression for a professional portfolio.
- Spreading of genitalia or anus (applies to both male and female).
- Spread legs (applies to both male and female) with everything on show and this is the main concept of the shot and is deemed gratuitous or sexually explicit without artistic merit, as deemed by a member of the admin team.
- Erections, whether real or implied (if it fails the Mull of Kintyre test, please ask)
- Ejaculation (applies to both male and female), whether real or implied.
- Urination, whether real or implied.
- Extreme bondage, whether real or implied.
- Sexual penetration, whether real or implied, with either toys, hands, sexual organs or other objects.
- Oral sex, whether implied or real.
- Extreme gore, whether real or implied.
- Photographer interaction with model - if any part of the photographer is in the image AND they are physically interacting with the model in any way then the image will be removed. Whether it is the photographer or not, if it looks like it is then the image will be removed.
- Scenes of cutting or dismemberment, whether real or implied.
- Images that fall foul of the 'Coroners and Justice Act 2009', part 2 Criminal Offences, Chapter 2 Images of children (prohibited images), 65.Meaning of “image” and “child” (6) (a) and (b)
- Images of logos only which have been added to Recent images.
- Images advertising web sites or services, or images with the sole intention of advertising other sites or services.
- Images of flyers, posters, or adverts used for castings or events (please use the Castings or Events features for this) or for any other purpose.
Note:If you need to host an image for an event or casting on-site please upload the image so that it is hidden in your portfolio and does not show in Recent Images.
If you do shoot the above then, by all means, upload them to other sites. More power to you for doing it, but it's not likely something that we wish to see on PurplePort.
Don't push the rules. It makes more work for everyone, causes distress and generally makes 'Winter' last longer and the sand too hot to walk on in the 'Summer'...
Can you appeal?
Of course, we're only human! And like every other human being we do make mistakes. If you think we've made a mistake by removing your image from the site, or marking it at a higher level than you believe it to be, then, by all means, contact us via support ticket. Please make sure you include a link to the image (or images) where applicable.